Follow these tips for safe boating this summer
Tint World® offers boat detailing and tinting services so you can bound across area waterways in head-turning style this summer.
But even the hottest boats and most experienced pilots can run into trouble on the water.
Here are five safety tips to keep in mind this summer as you and others return to the water.
- Carry life jackets: Make sure you have a properly rated life vest for each person on your boat. That’s a Coast Guard regulation. Poor swimmers or children should wear their vests at all times.
- Watch your speed: Obstacles, swimmers, personal watercraft or other boats can cross your path without warning. Maintain a safe speed on the water.
- Limit alcohol intake: Boating under the influence is a serious crime. Piloting your craft while intoxicated is also highly dangerous, as it impedes quick decision-making and affects judgment.
- Wear sunscreen: The number of sunburns a person has over the years correlates with the odds of developing skin cancer. Make sure your sunscreen is rated at least 15. Reapply liberally, especially if you are sweaty or go swimming.
- Avoid night boating: If you must be on the water at night, make sure you have adequate navigational lights on your vessel.
- Leave an itinerary: Make sure a family member, friend, or marina staff member knows your plans and estimated return time.
- Designate a first mate: Your passengers should always include someone who knows how to operate your boat and respond to emergencies if you are injured or incapacitated on the water.
- Pack a first aid kit: This should be part of an emergency kit that should also include basic tools, a flare gun and a space blanket.
Once you’ve got these bases covered, there’s just one more thing to do: Have fun!
Contact Tint World® today for information on boat detailing, paint protection and marine window tinting.